What to expect during Family Therapy
The aim of family therapy is to discover how to reduce stress and conflict taking place in the family system. During sessions, family members work on improving the systems of interactions and communication between family members.
Reasons why families seek counselling
- A family member may be struggling with an addiction
- Child may be having problems at school
- Unexpected traumatic loss of a family member
- Parent conflict
- Separation / divorce
- Adjusting to a new family member, e.g. birth of a child, foster child
- Adjusting to a new family, remarriage
Family therapy can be helpful for:-
- Developing and maintaining healthy boundaries
- Fostering cohesion and communication among family members
- Promoting problem-solving through understanding family patterns and dynamics
- Building empathy and understanding
- Reducing family conflict
The number of sessions required ultimately depends on the situation, however the average is between 5-10 sessions. Sessions are 1 hour in duration.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact us on 8448 1106.